An icon in Bombay / Hindi / Bollywood and Bengali Film history, Kanan Debi (1916 - 1992) was the first Bengali Film superstar, and a contemporary of popular actresses like Arundhuti Devi and Molina Devi. Kanan Devi was a singer - actor in Bengali Films, and a primary contributor to superhit Bangla movies produced by the legendary New Theaters, Kolkata.
Born Kanan Dasi to a poor family, she changed her name to Kanan Bala and later to Kanan Debi. Her first movie, at the age of 10, was Joydev (1926). Kanan Debi acted in a long list of Bengali & Hindi feature films as well as performed as playback singer for many more films. Her last Hindi film was Chandrasekhar (1947) and her last Bangla Movie was Indranath Srikanto O Annadadidi (1959).
Kanan Debi had studied singing with some great singers of her time, including Raichand Boral, Ustad Alla Rakha, Bhismadeb Chatterji and Anadi Dastidar.
A pretty complete biography & filmography of Kanan Debi can be found on Wikipedia.
The following Kanan Devi songs are available for MP3 download from our affiliate online music store. You can also listen to free previews of these songs online.
1. Amader Jatra Holo - Suchitra Mitra, Kanan Devi / Amader Jatra Holo
2. Anadi Kaaler Srote - Ashoke Kumar, Kanan Devi / Chandrasekhar
3. Bhasiye Dilam Mala - Ashoke Kumar, Kanan Devi / Chandrasekhar3:24 $0.89
4. Ei Labhinu Sanga Tabo - Kanan Devi / Ei Labhinu Sanga Tabo
5. Etodin Je Basechhilem - Kanan Devi / Etodin Je Basechhilem
6. Hare Re Re Re - Sachin Gupta, Kanan Devi / Hare Re Re Re
7. Kunch Baran Rajkanyar - Kanan Devi / Mejdidi
8. Pather Debata Ogo - Kanan Devi / Bankalekha
9. Piyasi Bhagile Je - Kanan Devi / Piyasi Bhagile Je
10. Piyasi Bhangile Je Mor - Kanan Devi / Piyasi Bhangile Je Mor
11. Pronam Tomay Ghanashyam - Kanan Devi / Mejdidi
12. Sammukhe Dishaheen Aandhiyar - Kanan Devi / Darpachurna
13. Sandhya Jodi Namei - Kanan Devi / Darpachurna
14. Sedin Dujane Dulechhinu - Kanan Devi / Sedin Dujane Dulechhinu
15. Timir Duar Kholo - Kanan Devi / Timir Duar Kholo
16. Tomay Sajabo Jatane - Kanan Devi / Tomay Sajabo Jatane
17. Trishnar Shanti - Hemanta Mukherjee, Kanan Devi / Trishnar Shanti